The Chinese Pangu team has recently released an untethered iOS 8 – 8.1 jailbreak when everybody least expected. Since the official version of Pangu8 did not offer users the possibility to add Cydia download Store, the jailbreak team released a new update, which covers this problems and solves other small bugs.
The jailbreak utility, dubbed as Pangu8, works with iOS 8.0, all the way through the latest iOS 8.1. As I mentioned above, the updated Pangu now includes Cydia as well. The following guide will help you jailbreak your iOS-based iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch while you install Cydia on it.
Before you start the jailbreak process on your device, you need to take into consideration a couple of aspects. First you need to turn off any lock screen passcode or Touch ID. For this, head over to Settings, General, Touch ID & Passcode, and here turn off Simple Passcode, as well as Find my iPhone.
In the same time, you need to have some spare storage space in order to run Pangu on your device. Both protection features can easily be turned on after you jailbreak your device and Cydia is installed.
You must have an iTunes restored version of iOS 8 – 8.1 installed on your device for the jailbreak to work. If you already updated from iOS 7.x to 8.x via OTA then, the jailbreak will not work. Make sure you use the latest version of iTunes to update your device.
In the same time, do not forget to backup your device completely before continuing either through iTunes or using iCloud.
In the last part, you must have iTunes 12.0.1 or later installed on your Windows PC before you can even begin. This is not all; iTunes must run in the background when the jailbreak process is taking place.
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone 5c
- iPhone 5
- iPhone 4s
- iPad (2, 3, 4, Air, Air 2, mini 1, mini 2, mini 3)
- iPod touch 5
As I noted before, Pangu8 for iOS 8-8.1 jailbreak untethered works only on Windows, OS X version will be released at a later date.
How To Jailbreak iOS 8 / 8.1 Untethered Using Pangu
- Download Pangu8 for Windows.
- Right click on the Pangu icon and click on Run as Administrator.
- Once Pangu is launched, connect your device to your PC using USB.
- Click on the “Start Jailbreak” button, and then on “Already Did” on the next message window. Now, your device will reboot a couple of times during the process. Be patient because the process should last a couple of minutes.
- When you see the “Jailbreak succeeded” message on the screen, it means that you are done. In the end, you will find the Pangu app along with Cydia app icon on the home screen. You are now free to run Cydia to customize your device.
In the case you already jailbroke your device using a previous version of Pangu that did not include Cydia as part of the jailbreak process, there is no need to repeat the process.
To install Cydia, simply run the Pangu app from your home screen. Tap on “Install Cydia”. Now, tap on the “Install” button found in the top right corner of the screen to begin installing Cydia. After a quick reboot/respring, you will have the latest Cydia on your iOS device.