Keeping personal information such as contacts or files on your iPhone is a very bad idea. You do not know why might happened with your device one of these days and you will end up losing everything. In this case, you need to find a way to keep them saved in a safe place. Fortunately, there are several solutions to backup iPhone contacts. For this, you may use Gmail, iCloud o iTunes account. However, for the last two options, you will need at least iOS 5 installed on your device and an Apple ID. Therefore, if you have your iPhone backed up to Gmail, iCloud or iTunes, you do not have to worry when you choose to jailbreak it for example or to restore to a previous firmware.
If you want to do this just to be sure, here is how you backup iPhone contacts with iTunes for the start. This is the simplest solution, if you ask me.
1. If you do not have iTunes on your computer, this is a good moment to download and install it. Once you have iTunes, launch the application and plug your device to your computer.
2. Find your device in the list of Recognizable devices and select it.
3. Right click on the iPhone Name and click on the Backup feature. This will sync your iPhone contacts with iTunes along with other personal files and data.
Secondly, if you want another alternative, you can use your Gmail account to save your iPhone contacts. Here is how you do it.
1. Again, as with the first alternative, launch iTunes and connect your device to your computer.
2. Once you selected your iPhone name, right click on it and search for the Info option.
3. Now, when you are in the Info menu, click on the Sync Address Book Contacts/All Contacts/ Sync Google Contacts.
4. In this part, you need to enter your Gmail account and the password. Click OK and then Apply in order for changes to take place. This is all. Now you have your iPhone contacts saved in your Gmail account.
As the last alternative, I will show you how to backup your contacts with the help of iCloud. The iCloud feature is the Apple’s storage alternative, which allows you to store music, pictures and other data in order to save storage on your device. However, you can access it whenever you want.
1. With the help of your iPhone, go to Settings and find the iCloud feature.
2. Sign in to your Apple account by using your Apple ID and password.
3. When you see the Contacts option, turn it on and search for Storage & Backup.
4. In the last part, tap on the Backup now button and all your iPhone contacts are in a safe place.