Yalu, the first jailbreak for iOS 10 was released in December by the popular hacker Luca Todesco. The version is flagged as beta and may not work properly because of a large number of issues; it supports a limited number of iOS devices, among which iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s and iPad Pro.
Moreover, Cydia Substrate is not functional yet and for that reason not all the Cydia tweaks will be working. Substrate was disabled by Luca on purpose to avoid encouraging users (with the exception of developers) to use this tool. If you are impatient to try it on your device, the following steps should help you manage to jailbreak your supported iOS device running iOS 10.1 – iOS 10.1.1 with Yalu and Cydia Impactor.
Before you start, we recommend you carefully read the remarks below:
- Compatible devices with this jailbreak:
iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus (iOS 10.1 and iOS 10.1.1 only)
iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus
- Non-supported iOS devices:
iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5
iPad Air 2, iPad Air
iPad mini 4, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2
- Only iOS 10.1, iOS 10.1.1 and iOS 10.2 work with this jailbreak
- Since Cydia Substrate is not functional only a few Cydia tweaks will be working
- The jailbreak is semi-tethered
- You should run a complete backup of your device before starting proceeding with jailbreak
- Make sure you have enough battery level on your devices to allow the completion of the jailbreak process
- In case the jailbreak will not work correctly, restoring your device to the latest iOS software version will be necessary.
Steps to Jailbreak iOS 10 with Yalu Jailbreak and Cydia Impactor:
2. Open Cyndia Impactor (double click).
3. Drag and drop Impactor into the Applications folder, then launch it
4. If a popup message as shown below appears, click “Open”.
5. Use a USB cable to connect your iOS device to your computer.
6. Once Cydia Impactor recognizes your device, it will be visible in the drop down list as in the example below.
7. Drag and drop the Yalu IPA file onto Cydia Impactor.
8. You will be required to enter your Apple ID and password. This information will be used to sign the IPA file and will be sent to Apple only.
9. After the app is installed on your devices, its icon should be visible on the Home screen, named “mach_portal”.
10. Launching the app requires trusting the developer profile. In order to do that, go to Settings – General – Profiles & Device Management and tap on the profile that corresponds to the Apple ID used in Cydia Impactor.
11. Press the “Trust” button and confirm.
12. Return to the Home screen and open the “mach_portal” app.
13. The jailbreak process starts when you will notice a white screen appears for 15-20 seconds. You should not do anything on your phone until the process is finished.
14. After the successful completion of the jailbreak process, an automatic reboot will run and Cydia should show up on the Home screen.
With these steps you should have managed to jailbreak your device. When launching Cydia for the first time, allow it to take some time performing the initial setup. Once it is done, start using it, but consider that since Cydia Substrate isn’t working, you will not be able to install many tweaks yet.
Since this jailbreak is semi-tethered, each time you restart your iOS device you will need to launch the “mach_portal” in order to re-jailbreak it.
In case the jailbreak does not work properly restore your device to iOS 10.2 to remove it.